Wednesday, July 27, 2011

As I was sitting here this morning and thinking about how this summer has gone I found myself satisfied. I feel that most of the credit should go to Wyatt's boy scouts. The group has gotten together every other Saturday this summer. We have done a baseball game, planetarium, water park and last Saturday we went horseback riding.
Wyatt, Kelly and Chelsea have made new friends with Dominic and Macie from scouts and Rob and Marty (D+M's dad) are buddies and working a side job together. Treasure, the kids' stepmom, and I have become good friends too so this has been a busy summer shuttling between houses, cookouts and just hanging out.
Actually this picture was taken at Marty's house one evening.
Marty likes to tease me endlessly about taking pictures and scrapbooking.
One of the first times I was at their house Treasure was showing me a new room they had added on. We had been talking about scrapbooking and using the cricut and when we walked in and looked around I asked her if this room was going to be her scrap room. She later laughed at me but she told me no, this was going to be the new master bedroom.
When she told Rob and Marty what I had said they all laughed at me. Hey a girl can dream for her friend right?
Yes this summer has been satisfying but it has also come with some major medical issues and changes for me.
Sigh... In May I hurt my right arm when I was swinging a pick to help Rob dig up our garden, figured I pulled a muscle.
In June I was diagnosed with kidney and gall stones I also ended up getting an emergency root canal.
In July I finally made an appointment with a new PCP who is also the husband of my gyno. I went in with a list of things wrong with me.
The Dr. let me know that I have tennis elbow in my right arm and need to wear a brace for the next 8 weeks and to ice my arm. We'll treat the kidney and gall stones when they flare up. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and the doctor made it official that I am now a type 2 diabetic. I'm not on insulin yet. I have been put on two medications that I will probably take for the rest of my life. One is for the cholesterol and the other is metaformin for the diabetes.
It's time I take control of my eating.
I overeat and most of the time it's with all the bad stuff that tastes so yummy. I have also come to realize that I'm eating too fast.
I have already started making steps in eating healthier. I'm not going gung ho because like my doctor suggested if I do I'm setting myself up for failure. I AM being more aware of what I eat and how much.
I also need to start walking but this has come to be a bit of a problem because my kids are not old enough to left alone for an hour and with Rob working this extra job he leaves about 20 minutes after getting off of his regular work and gets home at about 8pm. I could try walking at 5:30 am, that's when Rob gets home from his bike ride and is showering and getting ready for work. Right now I think that is going to be my only option.
I could go on and on about exercise and healthy changes but for me this is enough for now. I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed and my natural defense is to run away and pig out.
Lots of changes I'm going to make. (that sounds a bit Yoda-ish)
May the force be with me. :)


*Carrie*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe that school starts in two weeks for the kids, I mean where did the summer go?
I will admit that each year the heat hits me a little harder, but for the most part, this has been a great summer....even though its not over with yet.
I look back, and see the changes in all the kids, Kelly with her big sister attitude, Wyatt, getting stronger, and there's Chels with her "I can do anything" power trip. Then of course I look at Clayton, he now has his own cell phone, that is sooo cool for a kid his age. Donovan, seems to be on an even keel and plays great with Savannah. Savannah, is becoming very independant, I guess she's making up for lost time, she most definitely has a mind of her own...what can I say, I look forward to the rest of the year and seeing what changes come about.

Love to all
nina