Thursday, May 24, 2012

So I found this great idea on Pinterest schools out finish line and I kept it in the back of my mind for this years last day of school.
The day before the kids got out I went to our local teacher/parent school connection store and picked up a roll of paper.
The only rolls they had were 4ft by 200ft or I could buy it buy the foot, Since I have more projects in mind I went ahead and splurged on the big roll. The roll cost $23.
On the last day of school I dropped the kids off and raced back home.
I set Chelsea up with a movie and went out front with the scissors, paint, tape and went to town.
I unrolled the paper to a bit wider or is it longer, than the posts and then I cut the paper.
Laying it out on the driveway I just went for it and painted "welcome to summer". I was really worried about the size and spacing of the letters but decided that if I made them too small I could add some decorations to minimize my blunders.
The paint dried really fast, so I had the really hard job of trying to hang this monster without tearing it. A little bit of tape on each top to keep it 
in place while I secured the rest. The whole thing took less than a half hour to do. Love it!
The weatherman was predicting high wind advisories shortly before the kids were due out and I was so nervous that we would come home to a ripped banner but, nope! thank goodness!
So we pull into the driveway and Kelly asks what is that for, pointing at the banner.
I explain that the banner is to welcome the fun of summer and the end of this school year. I told them that they were gonna run through the banner but not until I was set and ready cause momma wants to take pictures.
Rob and I told them to just charge right through the paper
Go!
The paper was a lot tougher than I thought!
The kids crashed through it and it ripped from the sides instead of the middle.
Heck it ripped clean enough that Wyatt asked if we could use it next year!
Instead I let the kids ball it up and put it in the recycle bin.
Who knows, maybe this is another tradition that we will have.
And of course after dinner we went to DQ and had our first/last day of school ice cream. Gotta love that tradition.
*Carrie*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that on the way to the gym on Friday, Wyatt, Kelly were talking about starting at the new school, and yep they are excited...with maybe a little bit of nervousness thrown in for good measure. We talked about how exciting it was going to be, the things they offered, heck makes me want to go back to school. I know I always to play piano, only we couldn't afford it. So lets talk to Miss Marcia and see what it would cost for lessons and maybe I can help pay, because I sure wish I could have been able to do that.

I loved the banner, can't think of a better thing to do....you did good, a nice thing for the kids to remember as they get older and yeh maybe a new tradition to start. Proud of you kiddo.

Its Memorial weekend, have been thinking about Grandpa Percy this week, miss that man.
To all the men and women in our armed forces "thank you" for all the sacrifices that you do for us here at home.

ma