Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Having a baby changes everything

It's amazing how in twelve hours your whole life changes. This is me Friday June 27th at about 8:30am. i had just gotten home from having a non stress test. I had a feeling that I needed to get this photo of what I looked like pregnant. I was 35 weeks and 3 days. On bedrest (supposedly), I was taking it very easy. Rob had taken the day off work to just chill out and do whatever little errands that had been bugging me because I could not do them.
Fast forward to early evening around 4ish, I had just gotten into my comfy clothes and me and the kids were hanging in the living room watching Cars. Rob was starting to get dinner ready. All of a sudden it felt like someone had unpopped a cork and my water broke.
After rushing into the bathroom I had a huge smile on my face because my pregnancy was finally over, and all the misery it entailed, and I was finally going to see my baby and find out what it was.

Rob's mom came over to get the kids as we grabbed all the last minute things we needed to throw into the hospital bag.

Get to TMC and my water is still leaking, gross I know, and there is a line for Labor and Delivery. I ask politely if everyone is just visiting and one lady said no but looked at me funny. By this time I'm starting to leak on the floor and I'm embarassed because all these people are looking at me. So I say sheepishly that my water broke. The one lady who had said that she was not visiting, whom was actually in labor herself, looked at the security guard who was the only one working and said to get this woman a wheelchair and get her back there. So I was wheeled to the back.
Once they got me back there, they had no rooms so I was put in a little cubbie until they could get me a room. So about 15 minutes or so I was wheeled back up near the front in their traige area. This is where I chilled out until surgery. I must say we had the best nurses that night. We were cracking jokes and just going with the flow. Once I was wheeled into the surgery room I was given a spinal, took him what seemed like forever, and then as I became numb I started to giggle because everything tingled and my lower extremities were now useless. I could feel them rubbing the betadine over my stomach and I just kept giggling because it tickled. Let's just say they liked my in that room because I was so cool about the whole thing.
So I feel a bit of tuggging and then I hear a cry. The doctor brought the baby around so that we could see and they informed us that we had a baby girl. Of course I am now abandoned by Rob so that he must do his duty of getting plenty of pictures.
Welcome to our family, Chelsea Yvonne Ross- 8 pounds, 1 ounce and 18 inches
They asked Rob if he wanted to see my tubal ligation but he opted to go back to the room with our new baby girl. What was interesting to us is that Rob was allowed to carry the baby from the surgery room all the way back to our triage room where my mom was waiting. She wasn't put in a bassinet and pushed like we had at St. Joes.
So after they finished with me I was also wheeled back to our triage room for my recovery. This was the first time Rob got to see me "come down" from the surgery. As I lay there shaking like a chihuahua everyone else was checking out my new bundle of joy. I refused to hold the baby until most of the shaking subsided cause I was nervous about her slipping out of my arms or freaking her out. After about two hours of recovery we were taken to our new room where we would stay until we left Sunday night around 6:30pm. We had plenty of visitors on Saturday and poor me had only gotten about an hour of sleep because the nurses had to keep checking on me, so I was running on pure exhaustion.
So now I'm pretty much recovered and can now sit at the computer more comfortably so I will continue to fill you all in on how things are going. More tomorrow................... pictures coming, blogger is having problems

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Mama! I am so glad that everything went well. Beautiful name, I bet Mom is proud!!! Tell Papa Rob Congrats! too! I miss you guys!
HUGS!!!
Kris