Monday, September 20, 2010

Girl Scout Camp out 2010

Oh what a weekend!
Kelly and I headed up to Whispering Pines Girl Scout Camp this weekend with the girls from her troop this year and some of the girls from last year that have bridged to Juniors.
We had 20 girls, 3 moms and 3 troop leaders.
It was a crazy, fun, relaxing weekend.
Did I actually say relaxing?
Someone smack me.
The only time that was remotely relaxing was at 6 am, when barely anyone was awake and I was sitting and just enjoying the beautiful morning.
Our first project for the girls was to decorate shoe boxes to keep all their treasures in.
This is the stuff Kelly loves. If you were to look into her room you would find boxes, containers, etc. for all her treasures.
After lunch we went for a little hike down to this stream and little waterfall that has some big rocks that the girls could climb.
Ms. Kelly got half way up before she said no way and came back down.

Instead she spent most of her time playing in the water. The hike back up was a bit easier and we had the task of finding non-natural objects on the path.
Let's see, we had brownie stew for dinner and then went on a night hike to see the lights of Tucson.
It was so pretty and sooooo quiet.
We headed back to camp and had some s'mores. A few of the girls fell asleep sitting up. I know I was tired.
Poor Kelly was almost begging to go to bed but she was a trooper until after the s'mores where she then snuck away and went to sleep. Considering that she normally goes to bed at 8pm and it was about 9:30, I didn't blame her one bit.
And sleep, what is that? I was tired, but I didn't sleep well Friday night and thought I would just crash. Know what??? I could not sleep! I dozed a bit but really I only got a few hours and woke back up at my normal 5:30.
Oh gosh, the beds! Okay, so we have these twin size beds that have some wonderful springs and a four inch mattress. So wonderful that if you were a little girl they are comfortable to sleep on. For a mom, a plus size mom at that, that wonderful springy bed SINKS with your weight! My butt about hit the floor and my feet were pointing up toward the ceiling! We added a second mattress which helped, but it sure wasn't comfy to me.
Over the course of our time we made our treasure boxes, name tags and bandannas. Yesterday we earned our drama badge and oh, how proud am I of my girl.
We went through several drama exercises and in this exercise Kelly was given an emotion and had to say "I did it" in that emotion. She did awesome, the BEST out of all the girls. Seriously, no joking, you could hear her, you could hear the emotion and see clearly her expression. I told Rob that she looked like a natural on stage.
I will be honest and say that I teared up. To see how far Kelly has come, yes, she is still shy but more outgoing than she used to be. And to be the last to go and onstage in front of everyone. Wow!
Overall it was a great experience for both of us and my one and only regret is that I didn't get a single picture of us together.
I'm so mad at myself for not getting a picture of us but know this Ms. Kelly, that I took allllll these pictures and you are in most of them. Next time baby.
*Carrie*

No comments: