Saturday, May 16, 2015

Martha Stewart Birthday Cake Art Cricut cart personal challenge

 I have been having way to much fun with this cartridge. When I first looked at what was offered I thought that what I was going to create was going to simple or basic.
Sometimes I think my brain freezes up creatively and once I let it thaw and then marinate, ideas just flow.
One such night, I was playing with my distress inks and a stencil and created this background. I shoved it off to the side and on another day I started cutting out all the different pieces to make all these different cards. When I got to cutting out the flower, I made a mistake in color and cut it out in oranges instead of pinks. Wondering what I could use this for, I saw in my piles this distress card base. The colors matched almost perfectly!! Now I just need to stamp or cut out a sentiment and the card is ready to go!!

Last Saturday, Kelly had a birthday party to go to and I had just finished this fun card and asked her if she wanted to use it.
Thankfully she thought it was just as cute as I did.
I used the happy birthday embossing folder to give the chevron paper some dimension and then added red bakers twine to the balloon dog. I think that balloon dog is pretty fun. I see this as a card elements that I can use over and over again.
There are some fun elements that were originally made to be put on cakes but I cut them out to see how it would work on a card.
My plan is always to use what I cut out but sometimes I end up just adding them to my small box of cuts to be "used" later
I adore this cut but didn't know how to utilize it. One night it came to me and this is the result. Elegant, fun, blingy.
A baby card was a given when I was looking over all the images on the cartridge.
This elephant is just too sweet. I pop dotted him and the balloon and added the Charles embossing folder. I dug through my massive stash of paper to find some boy pattern paper. I rounded the corners and... hello baby card!
Simple, fun and easy.
So now I'm coming down to my last card. Oh, how I struggled with this last card.
I cut out the butterfly and set it aside. Later I was playing around and decided to use glossy accents. This not only made it shiny but more flexible. Another great thing about glossy accents is that its an awesome adhesive. I used some pretty tiny gems and since everything is already covered in the glossy accents it all dries clear and strong.
I didn't know what I wanted to do with the butterfly or how I wanted to structure the background. I played with pattern paper,

and then I decided to try using green foil paper and my cuttlebug cut and emboss flower bramble . I will say that the foil paper was a bit too heavy to emboss great but it cut out very well.
I dug through my stash and came up with a few flowers to add.
I will say that its not my favorite card but I'm trying and experimenting.
I still have sitting on my desk two more cards that are for Christmas. I haven't had the time to run to the store and get another snow marker since I somehow have misplaced mine.
 The last thing I plan to create is a baby scrapbook page. Like I have said, I have all the elements cut out but have yet to put it together. My biggest issue is finding the time to go through photos for one that works.
School ends this coming week and I have to say that it has been so hard to work on these challenges while working during the day and all our extra activities in the evenings. I'm hoping that summer will offer me the chance to play some more.
Next cartridge up will be ... Spring Holiday Cards
I have noticed that this is a very simple basic cart. We shall see what I come up with. :)

No comments: